SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It is the process of creating a way to put a website or page at the top of the search ranking to make it more easily noticed. Let me tell you how it works!
Keywords are the Key!
If you write good text, the search engine is able to pull some good keywords. Stay away from too many images because they will take too long to load and search engines do not have the ability to observe words and phrases within the image. It is critical and very important that you use keywords and phrases that well represent your product or services. Think of words that people would search when looking for the products your company offers.
- Put your keywords in the beginning of your content, such as in the heading and the first sentence.
- Instead of writing paragraphs, use lists.
- Website linking is very important.
- Use keywords in your links.
- Use subheadings throughout your content.
- ALWAYS PROOFREAD! Check the spelling and grammar of your content. The traffic will be greatly reduced if you make this easily correctable mistake.
- It is very important to repeat your keywords several times!
Improve Your Ranking
The whole purpose of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is to improve your websites ranking. But how do you improve your ranking?
- Complete an audit on your full site to find any problems or issues that might affect your ranking. This audit will consist of checking links within your content, spelling and grammar, link optimization and images that are too big, causing a slow download on your website.
- Don’t write just for search engines, but for your readers and customers. They are your best valuable source to a good ranking for your business!
- Work on making your on-page structure better by using headings, easy navigation, a home link on the upper left hand of your website, a search option, Checkout baskets and online shopping carts when you are selling products, Breadcrumb trails and page footers. I know, this is a lot of information and I will explain this more in detail shortly!
- Choose a link site from a higher ranked site then one of poor quality.
- Title tags are important, therefore be certain to incorporate your target keywords into your title tags.
- Social Bookmarking Websites are valuable sources to use such as stumbleupon, reddit, weebly, bravesites and skyrock. Use bookmarking sites that are highly ranked.
- Apply social sharing icons such as facebook, twitter and pinterest.
- DON’T DUPLICATE!
- Be certain that your URL’s include your main keywords.
- Keep your website content updated. If you have new content, add it. If you have old content, remove it.
Easy navigation plays a very important role when trying to improve your website and search optimization.
Header components are important. Most home page links are included at the top left hand corner of the page. Also keep in mind Global Navigation. Use tabs in your top link bar to navigate to other sites and pages. Another very useful type of navigation to use, which usually appears below the header and the title bar is Breadcrumb Navigation. Breadcrumb Navigation tracks the pages you went through to get to the current page and will make it easy to follow your track back and forth. Sites should have a “Search Bar”. This will be of great assistance to customers so that they do not have to go through a bunch of different steps to find exactly what they are looking for. The Search Bar will narrow down the results to quickly take them to where they need to go. If you are selling products, it is necessary to have a shopping cart. Not only will this greatly improve your sales, but will make it much easier for the customers to keep track of the items they are interested in so they can make one purchase with everything rather than having to go through the checkout process multiple times. Scan Columns are especially helpful when navigating websites.
Here are some great examples of Scan Columns. Don’t forget to include your contact information and mailing address within your Scan Columns on EVERY PAGE!! Whether you put your Scan Column on the left or the right doesn’t really matter! NEVER use your Scan Columns for advertising. Lastly, be sure to have a Page Footer. For legal purposes, certain information needs to be included and the Page Footer is a great place for this information to be included:
- Author Name
- A Copyright Statement
- Contact Details, including email address, phone numbers and address
- Links to websites of which are related to one another
- For long pages, navigation links that are excessive.
Monitor and Measure your Results
You cannot continue to improve your rank until you can master the Search Engine Optimization process. Monitor blogs and other sites that may have a conversation about your site, products or services and take into consideration everything that is being said. Pay attention to keywords that are being used. This evaluation will help determine the best optimization technique to use. Take part in the conversation to let them know you are listening. After all, your customers and viewers make your business a success.
This post and all images submitted by Vishal. Published first on notordinaryblogger in 17 June 2015
Vishal is the founder of WebyGeeks, a digital marketing and premier search engine company offering SEO, web design, web development and PPC services. Vishal has wide knowledge and 7 years of experience in the field of search engine optimization, ppc campaigns, internet marketing, conversion optimization and web development.